Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/29/2002 15:28:22
[ On Sunday, September 29, 2002 at 17:40:33 (+0000), Joerg Klemenz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
>
> All of this hacks are only needed because of ksh's lack of a "real" rc
> file.

$ENV _is_ the "real rc file" for ksh (and POSIX sh)!!!!

> To make things even worse, there's no way that I know of to load
> defaults for non-interactive non-logged-in shells.

You really should look at the complete working files I define.  It is
not difficult at all to detect the difference between interactive and
non-interactive shells from within the $ENV script.  The nifty trick I
use for ksh simply assumes one doesn't need any $ENV script for
non-interactive shells, but obviously there's more than one way to do
these thigns.

> The retarded $ENV
> construct assumes that the user is logged in when he starts a
> non-interactive shell.

That's pure B.S.  If you can't start a non-interactive shell with preset
environment variables then you should fix whatever facility you're using
to start such shells because it is broken by definition.

--
								Greg A. Woods