Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/28/2002 15:38:37
[ On Saturday, September 28, 2002 at 20:41:24 (+0200), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
> >> The NetBSD console gives ^[[8~
> >> for <END> not ^[[F
> > A, well then I guess on some versions of NetBSD, including what
> > you're using, the console is not ANSI x3.64 compatible.
> I'm fairly sure that X3.64 specifies interpretation of escape/control
> sequences on output and has nothing whatever to do with converting
> keystrokes into anything else on input - with the arguable exception of
> the KAM mode for SM/RM sequences, which has nothing to do with the
> subject at hand (it corresponds to a "keyboard locked" state).

I don't have the full X3.64 spec., but I do know that the cursor keys in
ANSI mode are expected to generate <ESC>[A and so on.  The <HOME> key is
well defined too as <ESC>[H, but indeed I'm unsure of the <END> key.

This is what you'll find in termcap and terminfo deinfitions too, such
as these terminfo values for the various sequence generated by keys on
an ANSI-compatible terminal from the "ansi" terminfo entry:

In general I've always understood it to be that the expectation is that
the keys will generate whatever sequence would be necessary to have the
expected effect on the display when a loopback is connected to the data

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>;           <>