Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/28/2002 14:33:17
Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >Also the lack of a .kshrc file or whatever forces you to put ksh
> >specific stuff in .profile or $ENV and ifdef it out which doesnt
> >always work.
>
> Its unfortunate that both sh and ksh use $ENV. Put
>
> if [ x$RANDOM != x$RANDOM ]; then
> fi

Like I just told Mr. Woods, this one fails w/ both BASH and zsh and
any other sh-compatible system that has a working $RANDOM.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. There is simply no reliable way
to detect what sh one is running.
Thats why every other shell except ksh uses its own *rc file for
non-interactive use.

Just because its "POSIX" doesn't mean it makes any sense...

> >Does it make any sense to file a PR? (because pd ksh is "external?)
>
> Probably wouldn't hurt.

Makes me feel important, too ;)

--
joerg klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>            reply to group/list - no CC please