Subject: ELF prebinding round 3: new method
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/27/2002 11:22:15
Hi,

I fixed a fatal bug in 'prebind' and implemented a simple fixup
optimization. Now ld.elf_so loads modified libc.so 20%+ faster than
unmodified libc.so (10%+ faster than FreeBSD & Red Hat rtlds!).
The benchmark result is shown below:

$ time ./david 9999
real	0m3.637s
user	0m0.683s
sys	0m2.920s

Compare it with the last result, 4.62s. ;-)

It's quite stable and I haven't had any problem for last a couple days.
Optimized libX11.so also works fine with all X11 apps I have.

Another 10-20% improvement is expected this weekend when I fix some
problems with 'prerelocation'. Also I'm planning to get rid of all the
hacks made into it (i.e. using p_paddr as prefbase, etc.).

Is there anybody willing to test it on his own system?

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>