Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/26/2002 08:36:14
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:46:22PM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:35:04AM -0700, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm all for changing it to sh or ksh.
> >
> > How hard would it be to offer a choice at installation time?  More or
> > less at the same time as changing root's password?
>
> there already is user with uid=0 and /bin/sh as a login shell.
>
>  toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:/bin/sh
>
> just set him a password.  you can also swap shells between these two
> (root vs. toor) if you like but it's always good to have possibility to
> log in as a root even if your /bin/{c}sh is screwed for some reason and
> the other is not.

I would like to see "toor" go away, and root's shell default to "ksh".
For "csh" refugees, we have pdksh functions for "pushd", "popd", and
"dirs" in the tree -- it would be nice to actually install those
somewhere and have them added to the function path and autoloaded by
default (in both "/root" and "/etc/skel").

Frederick