Subject: Re: reducing library searches in ld.elf_so
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/23/2002 15:50:03
> And, in fact, you can't do that anyway.  The ELF semantics allow two
> modules with the same basename to be loaded, if the modules that
> require them have different embedded search paths.

Sort of a shame that one - actually if the two modules are different
version of the same library and the symbols are being put into
the program's symbol table (ie it isn't a dlopen call) then the
functions from the second library will only be used for functions
that aren't present in the first.  Chaos is likely to ensue..

> This is why I said the cache should be associated with the search
> path.

Or at least remember the directories the library wasn't found it.
Then search by basename first...
(need to do something horrid just in case a library has to be
loaded from 2 or more places.)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk