Subject: Re: Moving from linux to NetBSD-i386
To: vasant <v_kanchan@yahoo.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/14/2002 04:49:34
On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, vasant wrote:
> I just loaded a PC with  NetBSD 1.5.2 with the intent to use NetBSD
> in a embedded project. I have been using Linux before and one of the
> features I liked was the command line editing with the help of the
> arrow keys. Is this implemented in the kernel or shell ? Can NetBSD
> support this ?

It's a shell feature. Install the bash shell (which is the default /bin/sh
in Linux), or just use "set -E" in NetBSD's /bin/sh. (which should be the
default in 1.6 btw).

> Also what are the differences between the libraries libc.a, libc_p.a
> and libc_pic.a.

.a is a normal static library
_p.a is a static lib with profiling support added (rarely used...)
_pic.a is a static library consisting of position-independent object files
	which are used to create the .so files. Only useful for updating
	shared libs without rebuilding the whole lib (rarly done too)
.so files are normal shared objects/libraries.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/