Subject: 'tail -f' and NFS
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020912T051735@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/12/2002 05:30:09
I've got a tail -f running during a 5-day long rebuild of pkgsrc on a
-current sparc ss5.

        # tail -f build-pkgsrc-sparc.log
        [lots 'o output] ...
        tail: build-pkgsrc-sparc.log: Input/output error

        # ll build-pkgsrc-sparc.log
        32672 -rw-r--r--  1 root  staff  33430717 Sep 12 05:20 build-pkgsrc-sparc.log

The log file is on an NFS-ed directory running on an i386 machine, and
everyone is running -current as of 9/7/2002.

This exact error w. errno has happened a couple of times now, usually
after I leave the 'tail -f' running for over 12hrs.  Is this an NFS
bug (or tail bug)?  The compile is also using sources mounted over NFS
and I see no errors inside the log file so this isn't some gross NFS
error where everything goes away.

Anyone know what is going on here?

-wolfgang
--