Subject: Re: finger
To: T.SHIOZAKI <tshiozak@astec.co.jp>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/12/2002 11:31:18
(note I didn't look at Kimmo's change, I don't have reason to believe
it's not right)

T.SHIOZAKI wrote:
> I got several comments about it and explained about them.
> I intend to wait for one day again.
> If there is no other significant objection, I will commit it tomorrow.

At the very least, please don't call the macros 'ascii_something()',
since ASCII only covers 0-127.

And please make sure to not pass values 128-160 (which map
to control characters on 7bit displayes, and are assigned as 'control
characters' in iso-8859-* character maps for this reason).

I also think that it should be default to pass the 161-255 characters
in both finger and fingerd, and I don't think it's necessary to
have an option to switch this off.

IMHO aiming for protocol change is neat, but totally unrealistic.

Please just make finger{,d} pass safe subset of 8bit and stop longening this
pointless thread. *sigh* (Yes, and shame on me to contribute to this
thread, too)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/