Subject: Re: finger
To: None <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
From: T.SHIOZAKI <tshiozak@astec.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/12/2002 18:14:50
From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:49:58 -0400

> I didn't get the message by T.SHIOZAKI that Johan is quoting below, so
> I'm replying to Johan's message...

You should also check the archive:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2002/09/

> As you probably could tell from my commit message, I was not happy with
> the fingerd change myself.  I just wanted to have a quick hack to make
> myself happy by seeing 8-bit data from fingerd.	 I should have taken the
> two more minutes that it took to do it right.
>
> I just committed a -8 option to finger(1) and fingerd(8), which enable
> true 8-bit pass-through.  The -i option is gone from fingerd(8).

Please stop committing before convergence of the discussion...

My patch is not quick hack but an appropriate change to conform to
rfc1288 in its own way, although there are some compromised points due
to imperfection of rfc1288 and concern about actuality of terminals.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2002/09/11/0008.html

I got several comments about it and explained about them.
I intend to wait for one day again.
If there is no other significant objection, I will commit it tomorrow.

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI / ASTEC Products, Inc.