Subject: Re: finger
To: None <woods@weird.com>
From: T.SHIOZAKI <tshiozak@astec.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/12/2002 16:39:39
From: woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:10:24 -0400 (EDT)

> >   - standalone finger(1) can working the one of three modes:
> >       - ASCII only (default)
> >       - use ISO C locale for single byte locales (-i)
> >       - 0x20-0xFF through (-8)
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I see no reason for the ASCII-only mode.  NetBSD is not really
> ASCII-only in any way any more.  If I'm not mistaken all the locales
> that NetBSD can support using 8-bit characters are "safe" in terms of
> not having any clashes between printable and controls even if the
> terminal is ASCII-only.

I think this default mode needs for just keeping compatibility and
comforming to rfc1288 strictly.

The default "C" locale is not always ASCII.
Although our "C" locale implementation is consistent with ISO646-IRV
(very similar to ASCII), it is a bad custom to assume that "C" locale
is ASCII.

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI / ASTEC Products, Inc.