Subject: Re: finger
To: None <woods@weird.com>
From: T.SHIOZAKI <tshiozak@astec.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/2002 14:26:02
From: woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:26:56 -0400 (EDT)

> > I looked at your commit.
> > This is typically abuse of ISO C locale system.
>
> No, I don't think so.  Your patch is far worse for code in a system that
> uses C locales, I think.
>
> If I read it correctly it seems your suggested patch, even the corrected
> followup, does not make the correct checks when displaying characters if
> '-8' is used.
>
> The client program must still ensure only characters that are valid
> "printable" characters in the user's current locale are sent to the
> user's terminal.

OK, I suggest a solution:
  - finger(1) never use ISO C locale system when it is called from fingerd.
    Administrators can choose the one of two modes:
      - ASCII only (default)
      - 0x20-0xFF through (-8)
  - standalone finger(1) can working the one of three modes:
      - ASCII only (default)
      - use ISO C locale for single byte locales (-i)
      - 0x20-0xFF through (-8)

Comments?

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI / ASTEC Products, Inc.