Subject: Re: finger
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/2002 08:26:01
From: woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:39:28 -0400 (EDT)

> [ On Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 01:47:45 (+0900), SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote: ]
> > This thread reminds me that locale-sensitive ftpd and ls of
> > several commercial Unix (e.g. Solaris, HP-UX) made emacs
> > dired package unusable.  It is one of my reason why I
> > dislike such systems.
>
> Whoa now!  Hold on just a minute there!!!
>
> The failures with emacs dired vs. locale-sensitive ftpd and ls are
> _NOT_, repeat _NOT_, a problem with use of locales in those utilities.
> The bug is _entirely_ and _only_ in 'dired' not also being locale-
> sensitive.

Ok, so you will set up the locale setting of your ftp
(inetd, actually) server to EUC-JP for me, Thanks.  But you
will want to read mangled characters of your terminal when
connecting your local server, won't you?

> Indeed the network need not even be invovled for this issue to arise.
> The local 'finger' program may read data from someone's ~/.plan that is
> not intended for the same locale as the terminal that data is about to
> be displayed upon.
>
> Of course on the receiving end the client program must take care to
> ensure that the data received will not adversely affect the user's
> terminal (and it must live with the assumption that the client user has
> correctly set his or her locale to match the capabilities of the
> terminal).  This same rule must applie regardless of whether the data
> has been transfered over a network or just sucked from a local file.

Why you simply make a assumption that all the user use same
locale in a machine?  No, you cannot.  It is same situation
on ftpd also.  The idea of locale-sensitive daemon is just
wrong.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
http://www05.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ba2/kei_sun/