Subject: Re: finger
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/09/2002 14:11:30
> It actually does, in this part of the world at least. Other OSes passes
> 8-bit without question (Solaris, Linux) which causes lot of complaints
> about NetBSD not being able to do it.

That's why I suggested to just declare "ISO-8859-1" as the official charset
our fingerd sends - and hardcode that in finger too. (Note that this is
different to the original approach which started this discussion.) One
possible implementation in finger is to force output to ASCII if the user
locale settings indicate anything different to ISO-8859-1, which would make
itojuns output (in euc-jp) safe, since no shift/escape sequences could be
triggered.

It won't change much, make NetBSD interoperate better with other OSes and
not prevent any steps towards a real solution. It is no real solution in
itself though.

Martin