Subject: Re: lib/18151: Multibyte locale support for statically linked programs
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Anders Hjalmarsson <hjalmar@hjalmar.to>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/03/2002 00:36:10
> >> 	it has been disabled in the interest of / partition size.
> >While keeping stuff in the root partition small is important, if no
> >locale modules are compiled in (the default in my patches) the growth
> >would be minimal, certainly less than 1k per program. This patch brings
> >additional flexibility to those of us who prefer static linking for most
> >programs.
>
> 	without locale modules compiled in there's no use in having
> 	locale-related logic.
>
> itojun

I am sorry, I was unclear. My point was that if the default was no
multibyte locales, the extra space would be trivial, while at the same time
those who want multibyte locales in static programs can rebuild their
system with the locales of their choice by simply setting a make variable
without needing extra patches.

-hjalmar