Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/22/2002 09:48:19
> 	- Missing or corrupt /sbin/init, /sbin/init.bak, /sbin/oinit.
> 	  Oops :) (No easy solution yet)

I have patches which change init loading so that if execing /sbin/init
fails, it prompts for a path for init.  (If you've also got
corresponding patches to the bootloader, you can boot with an
appropriate option to make it prompt before even trying.  I've also got
patches for i386 to make it take -i to turn this on.)

See ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mouse/patch-tree/,
src/sys/kern/init_main.c in particular.  (It also contains patches to
chroot the whole system; search for "initpath" to find the init stuff.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign