Subject: Re: make and comments
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/29/2002 21:05:23
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:47:05AM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> Just discovered on the automake list that our make doesn't honour escaped
> comment lines, eg
>

> # hello \
>   there
>
> which one might guess would be possible according to the man page. (Though
> it does say "In general", so maybe we could add "(not in comment lines)")
>
> Thoughts?

What about continuation lines that look like comments:

	command args \
# more text \
		even more text

How should that be parsed?

Or try putting a multi-megabyte file that has no NL characters in
it through (IIRC) solaris 'grep'.  I think it keeps on expanding
the input buffer until it has a line to process, unfortunately
coded to be O(n^2) in the length of the line :-(

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk