Subject: Re: make and comments
To: Patrick Welche <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/26/2002 15:05:27
[ On Friday, July 26, 2002 at 00:47:05 (+0100), Patrick Welche wrote: ]
> Subject: make and comments
> Just discovered on the automake list that our make doesn't honour escaped
> comment lines, eg
> # hello \
>   there
> which one might guess would be possible according to the man page. (Though
> it does say "In general", so maybe we could add "(not in comment lines)")
> Thoughts?

Personally I think that "continued comments" are bogus and _dangerous_.

A backslash in a comment is just a backslash.  It has no meaning,
special or otherwise.

After all that's all the manual promises:

     Comments begin with a hash (`#') character, anywhere but in a shell com-
     mand line, and continue to the end of the line.

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>;           <>