Subject: Re: full-feature libbfd
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/17/2002 17:22:14
On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:10:02AM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:

> At 08:56 AM 7/15/2002, Todd Vierling wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >
> >:       i'm wondering if it is a good idea to provide full-feature
> >:       /usr/lib/libbfd
> >
> >This support was speifically designed *out* of the new toolchain layout
> >because we now have src/tools.  The overhead of maintaining a unified
> >libbfd
> >(and the overhead of using it 8-) doesn't really outweigh simply making a
> >src/tools toolchain for the target.
>
> I disagree.  If you are running a host which serves several architecures
> a unified BFD is very useful.

I agree with Matt here.  Even with file-name expansion and my $TOOLDIR/bin
in my path, it's still much of a pain to type "mipsel--netbsd-objdump"
than just "objdump".  I still get stuck now typing the `wrong' thing
after such a long time using a 1.5.x box as a cross-build host that that
"BFD_UNIFIED=yes" in /etc/mk.conf.

Simon.
--
Simon Burge                                   <simonb@wasabisystems.com>