Subject: Re: full-feature libbfd
To: Todd Vierling <tv@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/15/2002 09:10:02
At 08:56 AM 7/15/2002, Todd Vierling wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>
>:       i'm wondering if it is a good idea to provide full-feature
>:       /usr/lib/libbfd
>
>This support was speifically designed *out* of the new toolchain layout
>because we now have src/tools.  The overhead of maintaining a unified libbfd
>(and the overhead of using it 8-) doesn't really outweigh simply making a
>src/tools toolchain for the target.

I disagree.  If you are running a host which serves several architecures
a unified BFD is very useful.

>(Remember that we once had this support in the old src/gnu/dist layout, as a
>UNIFIED_BFD mk.conf option.  Later discussion about the new world toolchain
>led to the decision to desupport this in favor of simply using src/tools.)

I believe you are wrong here.  I seem to recall that we were first going to
get single architecture bfd working and then later on multi-architecure
bfd working.  src/tools is completely independent of that.