Subject: Re: wscons termcap entry
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/04/2002 15:11:02
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 11:16:16PM +0200, Joerg Klemenz wrote:

 > But how is one supposed to know that? There is not a word in the man
 > pages about that.

The manpages are supposed to say "these are not the classical BSD
cureses, but a rather a modern version"?  I suppose they *should*
at least reflect that Brett and Julian are now co-authors of the
code. :-)

The manpages were updated to reflect the new function calls, etc.

The flaw is in the assumption that "not ncurses, must be the old BSD
curses". :-)

 > I could not find anything on www.netbsd.org either...
 > Only an old argument from '99. Is that when it was decided to create
 > the NetBSD curses?

My memory is a bit fuzzy as to when it happened.  Might be around then,
yes.

 > You are probably right but I still don't understand. What terminal
 > capabilities does one need for I18N support??
 > What does I18N has to do with termcap at all?

Honestly, not being a person who really cares about things like terminals,
I don't know :-)  I was merely pointing out an argument that was made.

 > I CC this message to you because your mail-followup-to said so. I hope
 > that is what you wish

Yah, no problem.