Subject: Re: User "news"
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/03/2002 21:42:59
At 6:40 Uhr +0000 3.7.2002, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>In article <20020702200855.E1883AC@proven.weird.com>,
>	woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>>> and disturb the package systems ability to create
>>> decent accounts.
>>
>> What does this mean?  (i.e. what do you mean by "decent" in this context?)
>
>INN needs an account with a valid shell because it runs scripts and
>cron jobs.

Well, that's a minor tweak with vipw or chsh after the install. My inn1
package wants that account, and so do the c-news, nntp, nnrpd packages that
I have on the backburner.

While a streamlined distribution is nothing I'd object to: Do we have any
policies in place for assigning 'well-known' numerical userids? I find it
somewhat annoying to find userids for package-related services randomly
inserted between the 'normal' userids.

IMHO, such a policy ought to be set up (and used by the pkg tools) before
we remove userids that have been around for a long time. I probably have
fewer machines around that use the 'ftp' account than 'news', and what
about 'bin'?  ;)

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign       "They that can give up essential liberty
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email          to obtain a little temporary safety