Subject: Re: User "news"
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/02/2002 16:08:55
[ On Tuesday, July 2, 2002 at 19:41:58 (+0000), Matthias Scheler wrote: ]
> Subject: User "news"
>
> and disturb the package systems ability to create
> decent accounts.

What does this mean?  (i.e. what do you mean by "decent" in this context?)

> Would anybody object to remove them?

Not I.

However I will note that personally I've been making sure the base
systems I build have all "system" accounts that might ever be necessary.
This is because as yet the mechanisms in pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.install.mk
(and indeed with useradd(8) itself) are quite primitive
w.r.t. assignment of UIDs and GIDs within reasonable ranges while at the
same time avoiding conflicts.  I'd much rather have "well known"
accounts already in place with identical ID#s across all my systems.
While the presence of unused accounts, even if locked, may present a
small risk on some systems, and may cause conflict for a small number of
users; that risk is extremely low in my world, and having the accounts
all present and identical across systems actually avoids any possible
conflicts.

--
								Greg A. Woods