Subject: Re: sendmail 8.12.4 import (and changes)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/26/2002 16:18:48
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 10:48:11PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >> 	Andrew, are you working on it?  if not, i'd like to import 8.12.5.
> >And what about the issues which Andrew mentioned?
>
> 	here are my proposed choices:
>
> 	(1) use smmsp uid/gid, and sendmail.cf + submit.cf.
> 	(2) have a queue runner run via /var/cron/tabs/root.
> 	(3) don't think there's a need for running sendmail root.  we'll
> 	    think about rc.d/sendmail mods once there's needs.

You left out issue (4):

(4) Since the default action for sendmail becomes "deliver to the
local relay", the out-of-the-box sendmail configuration will no longer
be able to "just work", since it requires that there be an active
listener (ie, a proper SMTP server listening on port 25 on the
loopback interface).  On the plus side, the mail will just accumulate
in the client queue until it is flushed.  It won't just disappear, and
it won't result in masses of messages getting syslogged as repeated
tries are made to hand off the message to another process.

Bernd