Subject: Re: silly request for ideas about about silly change
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/2002 00:17:42
> > Or check timezone for correct display?
>
> No, for two reasons:
>
> 1) Just because a machine is in a particular time zone doen't mean the
> user wants a given format. I bet you (Anders) would like the monday-first
> setting even on say ftp.netbsd.org (on the US pacific coast). I know I'd
> like the sunday-first cal on cvs.netbsd.org, located in Finland.

But it's more likely that the user wants the display on cal that corresponds
to the timezone where the machine is located than some other display,
and with an addition of a flag one still have to type something extra.
In this case:
% env TC=cet cal
on ftp.netbsd.org would work as well for me.

2) is not so interesting I think, back in 1752 I don't think people did
care which day their weeks started :-) (and "env TC= cal" would always
give the old syntax).

This isn't anything that feels important for me, I actually don't care
so much about the syntax. It was just a thought.

-- Ragge