Subject: Re: new options for vi
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/2002 21:25:40
> I have been editing a file that has tab separated columns (eg a
> spreadsheet dump) and trying to get the screen layout to look
> sensible given the length of some of the fields are rather variable
> between the records.

It's not directly relevant to what I understand your desire to be, but
I do have a program (which NetBSD, or any individual for that matter,
is welcome to a copy of) that produces lined-up text fields.  It won't
help you edit stuff and write it back out in the same format, but it
can produce a nice version for display.

Anyone interested is invited to drop me a line.  I've also put copies
of the source and manpage (in their present, unpolished forms) up for
ftp: ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mouse/halign.* (or rather, I will
have once this scp finally gets off its duff and copies them).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign