Subject: Re: silly request for ideas about about silly change
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/2002 15:05:30
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > While we are at it, could we Europeans get a flag to start the weeks
> > from Monday, not Sunday...
> >
> Or check timezone for correct display?

No, for two reasons:

1) Just because a machine is in a particular time zone doen't mean the
user wants a given format. I bet you (Anders) would like the monday-first
setting even on say ftp.netbsd.org (on the US pacific coast). I know I'd
like the sunday-first cal on cvs.netbsd.org, located in Finland.

2) The program assumes a crown-colony environment. By that I mean it
(cleverly) compensates for the switch from the Julian calendar to the
Gregorian calendar in the British Empire, in September 1752. Other parts
of the world switched at later or earlier times (I'm looking at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/khagen/GregConv.html which has a
good description). More Roman Catholic areas switched when the plan was
announced, in the 1580's. Protestant areas tended to wait until the 1700's
(with Sweeden changing its mind a few times). Areas looking more towards
Constantinople than Rome (Greek, Russian, Ukranian churches, etc.) tended
to wait until the 20th century. Russia and Russian-dominated areas for
instance changed after the Bolsheviks took power.

If we add timezone support, it is a logical yet painful step to try and
add support for the above. :-(

Take care,

Bill