Subject: Re: This should be the final cat(1) patch...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/09/2002 12:06:05
> I'd rather see a generic "wrap and lock" utility, much like env(1),

I already have a utility that's like cat except it does
open/write/close for each input line - it's intended to write to logs
you want to be able to logfile-rotate without troubles, for those times
when you don't (for whatever reason) want to use syslog.  (Actually,
there are optimizations - if multiple input lines are avaialble, it
will open/write/close once for all the complete lines it has.)  It'd be
easy to add locking to it, and if NetBSD would like a copy you'd be
welcome to one.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign