Subject: Re: This should be the final cat(1) patch...
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/08/2002 17:03:49

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 10:45:09PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> uhm, if this is supposed to be tool-ified, this is not true. maybe somebo=
> should update the style page for this?

I'd frankly rather roll my own in this case. Less code, more immediately
obvious what it's doing. Plus, explicitly using fcntl(2) instead of
flock(2) and then explicitly moving in the opposite direction with err(3)
seems strange. Of course, other things in tools/ use err(3) already, so
there's arguably little value to be gained from not using it. (FWIW,
flock(2) is emulated with fcntl(2) in tools/compat/, but I guess faking out
flock(2) any other way would be quite difficult, as compared with wrapping

Of course, I haven't looked at cat(1) with an eye towards other things that
are unique to BSD or NetBSD or otherwise non-POSIX. I'll take a look at it
from this perspective and post some notes later.

Mason Loring Bliss   Ewige Blumenkraft!  awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see