Subject: malloc queries
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Stuart Brooks <Stuartb@cat.co.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/06/2002 16:35:57
Hi there,

I have been trying to get to grips with the internals of malloc on Netbsd,
and I have a few questions I am hoping someone might have the answer to...

Firstly, I am compiling with GCC. Does that mean that it will link in the
gnu malloc library (/usr/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc/) or the stdlib malloc
(/usr/src/lib/libc/stdlib/)?

Which of these 2 is preferred and are there any funnies? I have been looking
mainly at the GNU implementation as it is dated 1989-93 as opposed to 1980
something. There just appear to be a few minor problems; for one the
"_chunks_used" variable appears to be incorrectly adjusted when the heap
info table is grown in morecore (malloc.c).

Thanks in advance

 Stuart