Subject: Which standards to list in manpages
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/10/2002 23:17:37
Now that I've actually got round to reading the shiny new IEEE Std
1003.1-2001, I think it might be worth mentioning where we conform to it
in our manual pages.  This leads me to wonder, though, what our policy is
for deciding which standards to mention in a page.  For instance, in many
cases, 1003.1-2001 makes no extra requirements over its predecessors.  In
other cases, 1003.1-2001 makes new requirements (which we may already
meet).  In yet other cases, 1003.1-2001 has more relaxed requirements than
older standards, or has some new requirements while also dropping some
old ones.

At the moment, most of our manual pages only mention a single standard,
usually the standard in which the function or utility originated.  Do we
want to continue this, or should we list all the relevant standards?

Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/acorn26/>