Subject: Re: why does pkg_install continue to use GNU Tar?!?!?!?!
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/07/2002 20:08:42
[ On Tuesday, May 7, 2002 at 23:37:16 (+0200), Alistair Crooks wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: why does pkg_install continue to use GNU Tar?!?!?!?!
>
> The issue with pax(1) is its support for the GNU tar -C extension.

That is not a problem.  The fixes to pax I mentioned include this
feature in the 'tar' interface to pax.  They were a pre-requisite to the
changes I submitted.  As far as I can tell they've been there since
before 1.5 was even branched.

> Each package with a @cwd directive in its PLIST needs this to
> function correctly. We are moving to eradicate these from pkgsrc,
> but haven't finished the transition yet.
>
> There are still 4 left, all in the japanese category.

Eradicating them will certainly make it easier to use the native 'pax'
interface to pax, but it's not a necessary prerequisite to fixing
pkg_install.

--
								Greg A. Woods