Subject: Re: mkdir with trailing / (patch proposed)
To: Izumi Tsutsui <>
From: Jason R Thorpe <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/28/2002 17:46:05
On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 05:02:32AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

 > I've heard POSIX say pathname _may_ have trailing slash,
 > and application which is strictly complient with POSIX
 > should not use features mentioned "may" in standard.
 > But I don't know whether kernel should support it for compliancy.

The quotation in the regression test actually says:

         * IEEE 1003.1 second ed.
         *      If the pathname refers to a directory, it may also have
         *      one or more trailing slashes.  Multiple successive slashes
         *      are considered to be the same as one slash.

The way I read that "may" is "you may include the trailing / and expect
it to work".  I.e. "you may assume this will work" not "you may or may not
choose to implement this".

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <>