Subject: Re: [netbsd]: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/26/2002 19:39:29
[ On Friday, April 26, 2002 at 11:55:38 (-0500), Tim Bandy wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [netbsd]: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
> 2) Is newgrp worth pursuing, then, based upon this and other feedback?

I definitely think so.

One of the things I've always wanted in a *BSD 'newgrp' pretty much ever
since the day I first encountered multiple group membership was a way to
select one's primary gid without changing the current group memberships,
and also some way to select which groups will be used when a user
happens to be allowed membership in more groups than the kernel allows.
There are quite a few unanswered questions in how this might all work,
but over the years I've encountered limits in the group mechanism enough
times to feel it's worth pursuing a more generic solution.

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>