Subject: Re: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/25/2002 21:26:57
[ On Friday, April 26, 2002 at 00:11:56 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Tim Bandy wrote:
> > I've taken a crack at writing a newgrp program.  It's included below.
> > Please review it, and if you find it useful, it's yours.  Of course,
> > documentation is as of yet nonexistant.  Copyrights and id tags will
> > need fixing.
> What exactly is newgrp good for on a system that allows users to be in
> more than one group at a time?

Users can very easily be members of more groups than the system allows
them to be in simultaneously.  I nearly had to implement newgrp myself
recently (or rather borrow an implementation from elsewhere! ;-), but
luckily I was able to drop a few group memberships for the affected
users without losing any functionality.....

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>