Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc/rc.conf.d
To: matthew green <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/19/2002 15:10:58
On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 01:55:59PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
  |        Date:        Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:18:33 +1000
  |        From:        matthew green <>
  |      | "put this into defaults/rc.conf".
  |    I assume it would also be ok to put it in defaults/FOO (defaults/ipmon
  |    or something) and have rc.d/FOO (rc.d/ipmon) source that file to get the
  |    values (making sure they can be overridden by rc.conf and rc.conf.d/FOO)
  |    For systems with a lot of configuration, that makes more sense than
  |    polluting defaults/rc.conf and also seems to fit with the general
  |    philosophy of how the various directories are intended to be used.
  | hmmm.  i think i like this idea.  luke?

[moved to tech-userlevel from source-changes]

what about just having a section at the top of the rc.d script itself
that sets the defaults?

e.g, for /etc/rc.d/ntpdate, something like:
	. /etc/rc.subr

 --> new section follows
 --> contains "defaults: " and then a description of what it does
	# defaults: set date and time via NTP
	ntpdate_flags="-b -s"

	load_rc_config $name
	run_rc_command "$1"

this could be used by a script to build the default sushi form files
as well...