Subject: Re: default passwd.conf file
To: Andrew Doran <>
From: Sean Davis <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/15/2002 03:46:30
I think it should "just work" for the pkgsrc version also - at least, I've
used programs on non-md5-crypt machines, and moved them over to my NetBSD
machine which uses md5, and crypt() seems to recognize what type of password
hashing was used and act accordingly. (ie a database that had DES passwords
still works fine, and I can put MD5 passwords in it and it still works)

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 08:42:43AM +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> Jan Schaumann <> wrote:
> > What effect does this have on ssh?
> If you use the version of ssh that's included in the base system, "it just
> works". Don't know about pkgsrc.
> Andrew

/~\ The ASCII                         Sean Davis
\ / Ribbon Campaign                    aka dive
 X  Against HTML
/ \ Email!