Subject: boot directory structure
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/14/2002 20:16:03

Hi all

First of all, hello everybody as this is my first message to this
list. Also, sorry if it does not belong to it... I've also think
in tech-kern, but it may suit better here.

Well, this is a change proposal of some directory structure. Currently
we have a /boot file, which is the system loader and a /netbsd which
is the kernel.

What I propose is the following:
* Create a /boot directory to hold all booting related files.
* Move /boot loader to /boot/loader.
* Move /netbsd to /boot/kernel/GENERIC (or something else)
* Other kernels will go also to /boot/kernel.

Doing this we can have all these related files togheter in the same
place. If you like to have several kernels, all can go to the same
directory, whitout beeing in /.

We also would have a /boot directory to add new features (like in
FreeBSD). Modules would also go there... (/boot/lkm)

The main reason why I'm proposing this is because when trying to
install grub, it expects a /boot/grub directory, which can't be done
with the current file structure. Well, the easiest solution here is
to patch grub to use something else (i.e. /grub)

Although, I find this new structure quite interesting...
So your oppinions?

Of course it runs NetBSD -
HispaBSD member -
Julio Merino <>