Subject: Re: default passwd.conf file
To: None <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/14/2002 01:09:34
>> default:
>>         localcipher = md5
>>         ypcipher = old
>Incidentally, why isn't this in login.conf instead?
>Is there some reason to have NetBSD's login.conf be different
>from other login.conf implementations for just how passwords
>are stored?
>Like, what else is going to go in passwd.conf? Is it really worth
>it to have a three line config file?

sure, it's not much, but then again, resolv.conf ain't much and could
probably be folded into nsswitch.conf.  not that i'm advocating such a

remember, passwords don't always have to do with logging in.  su also
uses passwords.  this file mainly, off the top of my head, affects the
behavior of the passwd binary.