Subject: Re: correct "direction" of barriers in rc.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/26/2002 01:50:52
>> It would be useful to be able to specify (in rc.conf) overriding
>> require/before rules for scripts - as args to rcorder.
> Well, as stated earlier in the thread, this can be worked around with
> a glue script (no code, just dependencies).

> ===== /etc/rc.d/LOCAL.force-rpcbind-NETWORK =====

This strikes me as unacceptable unless there is a documented way to
pick a name for it that is guaranteed not to conflict with anything any
future release does in /etc/rc.d/.  Prefixing it with "LOCAL." isn't
enough unless it's documented as safe and maybe not even then; witness
the way etc/mtree/NetBSD.dist thinks it knows what /usr/local should
contain, a place that was once upon a time a safe place to put
localisms.  Given that rc.d/ is a part of the distributed system, I
don't find putting localisms there acceptable even _with_ such a
promise, same as I put config files for locally installed software in
/local/etc/ instead of /etc/.

Not that I suppose it matters what I think....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign