Subject: Re: correct "direction" of barriers in rc.d
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/23/2002 01:18:53
    Date:        Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:18:14 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
    From:        Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>

  | If db X is a `local' script, the correct way to do it is all in the db X
  | startup script:
  |
  | # REQUIRE: DAEMON NETWORK
  | # BEFORE: inetd
  |
  | Voila.  I use something similar to this already for my Oracle startup.

That's fine when local scripts are being added, but apart from editing the
rc.d/* scripts, which I don't think is the right way, does nothing when the
problem is that 90% of users want nfs (clients) started early (of users who
use nfs) in case filesystems of importance (/usr/pkg ..) are to be mounted
from nfs, but the occasional user needs nfs started after routed (or zebra,
routed6, gated, ...) because without that the servers for the filesystems
can't be located.

It would be useful to be able to specify (in rc.conf) overriding require/before
rules for scripts - as args to rcorder.

kre