Subject: Re: correct "direction" of barriers in rc.d
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/21/2002 18:11:48
On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Luke Mewburn wrote:

: FWIW: What I objected to in the original discussion with Jason (a year
: or so ago) abouting converting a bunch of the rc.d scripts to using
: "BEFORE" instead of "REQUIRE" was that at the time the plan was
: presented it seemed to me to be a minor semantic difference (in the
: manner of perl's "if (!foo)" vs "unless (foo)"), and I preferred
: consistency in the base system startup scripts.

Right, I understood that.

I think in this case that the barrier scripts were simply creating `too
tight' of a web of dependencies, since they were almost exclusively
top-down, and it wasn't possible to yank a script without hacking the
barrier dependency.

I wouldn't, of course, want to reverse the dependencies of things like
nfsd->rpcbind and so forth.  Those ones are very obvious.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/