Subject: Re: correct "direction" of barriers in rc.d
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/21/2002 17:10:01
On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:14:44PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
  | Pretty much every `local' script I put into rc.d uses BEFORE in order to
  | express dependencies, so that I don't have to go hacking scripts to latch my
  | `local' scripts into the structure.

Thats the reason why the BEFORE functionality was added to rcorder
(allow third-party scripts to change the ordering without requiring
editing of other scripts); it didn't exist in the initial implementation
of rcorder or rc.d.

I haven't had a chance to examine Jason's proposed patch in detail yet.

FWIW: What I objected to in the original discussion with Jason (a year
or so ago) abouting converting a bunch of the rc.d scripts to using
"BEFORE" instead of "REQUIRE" was that at the time the plan was
presented it seemed to me to be a minor semantic difference (in the
manner of perl's "if (!foo)" vs "unless (foo)"), and I preferred
consistency in the base system startup scripts.
Excessive use of "before" versus "after" dependencies for minor semantic
reasons just increased the complexity of understanding to an end user.