Subject: Re: correct "direction" of barriers in rc.d
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/2002 14:18:14
On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, der Mouse wrote:

: That sounds reasonable to me.
: However, what about ordering requirements that are not an attribute of
: either script involved, but rather of some decision the system's
: administrator has made?  (I'm thinking things like "we want db X to be
: up before starting inetd, because inetd has an entry that accesses that
: db".)  It seems to me there is presently nowhere to declare such
: dependencies that's conceptually right.

If db X is a `local' script, the correct way to do it is all in the db X
startup script:

# BEFORE: inetd

Voila.  I use something similar to this already for my Oracle startup.

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --