Subject: Re: correct "direction" of barriers in rc.d
To: Jason R Thorpe <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/2002 14:14:44
On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

: Now, Luke thinks this is an abuse of the BEFORE keyword.  However, I
: strongly disagree.

I agree with your assessment.

Pretty much every `local' script I put into rc.d uses BEFORE in order to
express dependencies, so that I don't have to go hacking scripts to latch my
`local' scripts into the structure.

To extend this concept, it should be perfectly fine to remove unneeded
scripts from rc.d without leaving a dangling dependency.  As such, barrier
dependencies probably do belong in BEFORE lines, rather than containing
REQUIRES of their own on individual scripts.

BEFORE is not a hack.  It's a very fundamental part of the provide/require

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --