Subject: Re: rc.subr problem with interpreted daemons
To: None <>
From: Ed Ravin <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/2002 12:19:29
Luke Mewburn writes:
> The intention is to
> support "interpreters" for arbitrary rc.d commands, such that
> check_process() and check_pidfile() do the right thing.
> I've been considering the "cleanest" way to do this;
> My current thoughts are along the lines of supporting two more
> optional variables:
> 	interpreter	interpreter-name
> 	command_shift	# of args to shift to find the command

How about a user-supplied match pattern or regexp instead?  Then you
have only one parameter in the rc.d script instead of two.  Also, there's
the possibility of false positives when matching this way - consider:

Would match both:

  /bin/sh -c frog

  /bin/sh ./myscript frog

Which would cause problems if you didn't have a pidfile.