Subject: Termcap in $TERMCAP broken?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/15/2002 03:27:15
I have a guest login on a 1.5.3_ALPHA machine (according to uname; vax,
if it matters).

On my 1.4T machines, even my VAX, if I put a termcap entry in $TERMCAP
and put that entry's name in $TERM, everything works.  On the
1.5.3_ALPHA machine, it works only partially; one of my own programs
that uses -ltermcap works fine, but top goes into its dumb-terminal
mode, printing one "update" and exiting.

Setting $TERMCAP to the name of a file which contains the termcap entry
(among others) works fine.

Now, this may prove non-reproducible, in which case it's probably some
quirk of the machine I have the guest login on.  But if it's
reproducible, it seems to me that a useful bit of functionality has
been lost somewhere along the line....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign