Subject: Re: named.conf
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/28/2002 01:31:28
>Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com> writes:
>> For consistancy it should probably be /etc/named.conf.

Personally I'd prefer that.

>We have it in namedb for a good reason, and it has been there in BSD
>for over a decade now. It is extremely convenient for people managing

Yes, when you keep all your dns data under CVS (as I do), it it most
convenient to keep named.conf along with the rest of the config.
However, many years ago I used /var/named as the location of the live
tree, and make /etc/named.conf a symlink to a file in there.
I used this location in part, because it _wasn't_ what any of the
vendors used, so there was little risk of vendor patches screwing things.

I've been able to completely ignore the existance of /etc/namedb so far.
If you "fix" this I'm sure I'll cope, but fwiw the current setup has never
caused me angst.

--sjg

<plug>See http://www.crufty.net/help/dns/dnsmagic.html if interested in
the setup.</plug>