Subject: Re: dump dm(8)?
To: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2002 21:40:44
> At Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:00:43 +0000 (UTC), "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> > What, your kids are taking up all the CPU on your Vax or something
> > playing rogue?
>
> "no ancient text games for you except between 3 and 4 pm!  after that,
> you have to go do your homework!"

Its worse than that.  I don't know what they do, but on at least 3
occassions back when I used to let them use the console on my main box
(1.4.2/i386), they would crash it.  This is a box which normally has
uptimes of 90 - 180 days (it reboots only when I add/remove hardware or
upgrade the OS - or when the kids use it).

Actually this has been a very stable system, in the 4+ years its been
running nearly all the only unplanned reboots have been when my 14yo
was at the keyboard!

I now let them use my SS20 which gets rebooted much more often anyway
since its my -current box.

BTW my 2yo _loves_ "working" on the computer - she clicks away madly at
the mouse - like a machine gun - until X crashes!  I don't let her
near this box :-)  The 5yo prefers typing her name and such ;-)

--sjg