Subject: Re: fix for pd-ksh globbing
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2002 11:01:25
On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> The patch below fixes the above - at the cost of an extra stat() call.
> While find_match might be overkill but I've had it for years and it works.

It still freaks out when expanding files with meta-characters
(double-quotes, single-quotes, parenthesis). It expands the file,
inserting escapes for the meta-characters, to the point where the files
are the same, but then when you hit tab again to see the alternatives (I
use set vi-tabcomplete), it gets all confused and displays a scrambled
filename with the first part duplicated. Can you do anything about that?

"ksh93" doesn't have a problem with the meta-characters, nor does it try
to escape them. I think that's the way to go. If you need to specify a
long file with meta-characters, you just have to place a single- or
double- quote at the beginning of the filename.

Frederick